1. THÔNG BÁO TUYỂN ADMIN DIỄN ĐÀN 2013
    Tìm kiếm nhà trọ - Ở ghép
    THÔNG BÁO BÁN ÁO SPKT.NET CHO THÀNH VIÊN DIỄN ĐÀN

HÃY TÌM KIẾM Ở ĐÂY TRƯỚC KHI ĐẶT CÂU HỎI
    {xen:phrase loading}

STORIES, POEMS, CULTURE....

Thảo luận trong 'CLB Anh Văn' bắt đầu bởi Huyspkt, 28 Tháng chín 2006.

1. Huyspkt Guest

Số bài viết: 0
    Đã được thích: 0
    Điểm thành tích: 0
    <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><div align='center'>THE APPLE TREE STORY</div></span></span>

A long time ago, there was a huge apple tree. A little boy loved to come and played around it everyday. He climbed to the tree top, ate the apples, took a nap under the shadow... He loved the tree and the tree loved to play with him. Time went by...the little boy had grown up and he no longer played around the tree everyday.
    One day, the boy came back to the tree and he looked sad. "Come and play with me," the tree asked the boy. "I am no longer a kid, I don't play around trees anymore." The boy replied, "I want toys. I need money to buy them." "Sorry, but I don't have money... but you can pick all my apples and sell them. So, you will have money."
    The boy was so excited. He grabbed all the apples on the tree and left happily. The boy never came back after he picked the apples. The tree was sad.
    One day, the boy returned and the tree was so excited. "Come and play with me" the tree said. "I don't have time to play. I have to work for my family. We need a house for shelter. Can you help me?" "Sorry, but I don't have a house. But you can chop off my branches to build your house." So the boy cut all the branches of the tree and left happily. The tree was glad to see him happy but the boy never came back since then. The tree was again lonely and sad.
    One hot summer day, the boy returned and the tree was delighted. “Come and play with me!" the tree said. "I am sad and getting old. I want to go sailing to relax myself. Can you give me a boat?" "Use my trunk to build your boat. You can sail far away and be happy." So the boy cut the tree trunk to make a boat. He went sailing and never showed up for a long time.
    Finally, the boy returned after he left for so many years. "Sorry, my boy. But I don't have anything for you anymore. No more apples for you..." the tree said. "I don't have teeth to bite" the boy replied.
    "No more trunk for you to climb on." "I am too old for that now" the boy said. "I really can't give you anything ... the only thing left is my dying roots" the tree said with tears. "I am tired after all these years." The boy replied. "Good! Old tree roots is the best place to lean on and rest. Come, come sit down with me and rest." The boy sat down and the tree was glad and smiled with tears ...

This is a story of everyone. The tree is our parents. When we were young, we loved to play with Mom and Dad. When we grow up we leave them, only return when we need something or when we are in trouble. No matter what, parents will always be there and give everything they could to make us happy.
  2. Huyspkt Guest

<div align='center'><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">FRIENDS FOREVER</span></div>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">E</span>veryone always tells their friends they'll be "Friends Forever," but How Often does that last?
    You might be best friends one year, pretty good friends then next, don't talk often the next year, and don't want to talk the year after that!

Mọi người hay nói với nhau rằng họ sẽ "mãi mãi là bạn" nhưng mãi mãi là đến bao giờ?
    Các bạn có thể là bạn thân trong một năm, sau đó là bạn tốt, không nói chuyện với nhau thường xuyên năm sau đó, và không muốn nói chuyện với nhau một năm sau nữa!

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">S</span>o, I just wanted to say, even if I never talk to you again in my life, you are special to me and you have made a difference in my life, I look up to you, respect you, and truly cherish you.

Tôi chỉ muốn nói với bạn rằng, dù rằng chúng ta không bao giờ nói chuyện lại thì bạn vẫn đặc biệt đối với tôi và bạn đã mang đến cho tôi sự đổi thay trong cuộc sống. Tôi luôn nghĩ về bạn, tôn trọng bạn và thật sự yêu mến bạn.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">L</span>et old friends know you haven't forgotten them, and tell new friends you never will.
    Remember, everyone needs a friend.
    Someday you might feel like you have no friends at all, but just remember this and take comfort in knowing somebody out there cares about you and always will.

Hãy để những người bạn cũ của bạn biết rằng bạn chưa quên họ, và nói với những người bạn mới bạn sẽ không bao giờ quên họ.
    Hãy nhớ, mọi người đều cần có một người bạn.
    Một ngày nào đó bạn sẽ nhận thấy giống như bạn không hề có bạn bè, nhưng hãy nhớ những điều này và biết rằng luôn có một ai đó quan tâm đến bạn và luôn quan tâm đến bạn.
  3. Huyspkt Guest

<span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">THE ORIGIN OF LANGUAGE DEBATE.</span></span>

Jelle Zuidema's essay "The Origin of Language Debate" contains a discussion about the theories put forward by Noam Chomsky and Steven Pinker (who provided the basis for the now widely accepted classical theory on the origin and development of language skills), and those provided by Luc Steels and Brian MacWhinney who attempt to propose an alternative theory.
    The Arguments of Steels and MacWhinney.
    The summary of the arguments provided by Steels and MacWhinney towards the Origin of Language debate are as follows:
    1. there is no universal grammar
    <- no universal grammar is found, universals result from cognitive and physical constraints
    2. innateness is not self-evident
    <- alternative explanations exist
    3. there is no language organ
    <- no grammar to be content of organ, language areas are also involved in other cognitive tasks
    4. there are no language genes
    <- there's no organ to code for, universal location emerges from selforganization
    5. modern languages evolve similarily to their origins
    <- language creation can be witnessed everyday
    6. language emerged from cultural evolution
    <- the same processes produce complexity elsewhere, simulating experiments show emergence of protolanguage
    7. language emerged from embodiment
    <- embodied cognitive processes shape language understanding

<span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">Some Comments on the Origin of Language debate</span>

I find it hard to agree with many of the points made in the arguments listed above. There follows a disection of the given arguments:
    Point 1 - There is no universal grammar
    As a believer that language is the driving force of thought, I can't see the cognitive constraints as being separable from the notion of universal grammar. The basic concepts underlying language are unlikely to be the mere embodiments of concepts shared with non-linguistic animals. Can the notion of number be equated with what the hunter sees when approaching prey?
    It is very unlikely that a universal grammar will be found and codified given its complexity, but this does not negate the concept.
    Point 3 - There is no language organ
    While the location and nature of the LAD (Language Acquisition Device) remain little understood or even identified, language is cerebral, so it is contained within one organ, the brain, about which we know very little.
    Ponit 4 - There are no language genes
    This is only true if number 3 is, which I find questionable. The fact that the human genome has been published does not mean that we have grasped how it all works, especially diachronically.
    Point 5 - Modern languages evolve similarily to their origins
    Language creation is not synonymous with creating an entire language. The fact that we can create new words or forms is not the same as the leap of thought that generated the first concepts.
    Point 6 - Language emerged from cultural evolution
    The two are so linked as to be simultaneous. Production of 'complexity' is not the proof that language can be forcibly 'evolved'.
    Point 7 - Language emerged from embodiment
    There is no consensus on the relationship between language and thought; I, like many others, believe the opposite of what is being argued here. This does not sound worked out sufficiently to me.
  4. Huyspkt Guest

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">LIFE IN MY EYES </span>

Life is such a string of questions which is consecutive and lasts inexhaustibly. Every day goes by, so many queries appear and not all of them we can answer satisfactorily and even there are some that we would never find out the answers. Sometimes, there simultaneously exist contradictions in one mind and in order to solve, we have to accept to sacrifice or lose something. Life always put us among choices but we only have the unique to choose sometimes merely “yes’ or “no”.

The more I grow up, the more complicated things I have to think of and life no longer still is simple as I used to suppose. I’m asking myself why I post these, it also means that one more question turns up…

I just want to share my impressions and feelings, what I think of life, how I sense everything around…and the most important is that I need someone listens to me, just listen.

I want to tell the truth, but people usually don’t like
    If I tell untruths, they immediately smile
    such is life!

Yep,
    Now I do know why
    People will have to cry
    for moment they smiled
    that’s so life!

Please, listen to your heart
    And look into my eyes
    Whenever you tell lies
  5. Huyspkt Guest

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">5 REASONS WHY BEER BETTER THAN WOMEN</span>

1. Beer never laughs in pity at you wearing T-shirts with "5 Reasons Why Beer Is Better Than A Woman"
    2. Nobody will think you a damned liar when you say that you have had a few beers in your life.
    3. Beer does not back off from you repulsed, when you want to pick it up.
    4. Beer does not yawn and look away disinterested while you reel off facts about why it is better than women.
    5. Beers do not walk past you every single day ignoring you, leaving you wondering if you will ever get to know what they taste like.
  6. Huyspkt Guest

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SHOOL</span>

Early one morning, a mother went in to wake up her son. "Wake up, son. It's time to go to school!"
    "But why, Mom? I don't want to go."
    "Give me two reasons why you don't want to go."
    "Well, the kids hate me for one, and the teachers hate me, too!"
    "Oh, that's no reason not to go to school. Come on now and get ready."
    "Give me two reasons why I should go to school."
    "Well, for one, you're 52 years old. And for another, you're the Principal!"
  7. Huyspkt Guest

<div align='center'><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">THE WAKE TO DAY</span>
    (Funny poens)

I wake today,
    get out of bed,
    then stretch and yawn
    and scratch my head.

I find my clothes.
    I pull them on
    while stifling
    another yawn.
    When I arrive
    I'm truly shocked.
    The lights are off.
    The door is locked.

I check my watch.
    It's me, not them.
    I overslept.
    It's 4pm

I grab a breakfast
    bar for fuel,
    and hoist my pack
    and head to school.</div>
  8. hmphuong Guest

What are little boys made of?
    Frogs and snails
    And puppy dogs' tails
    That's what little boys are made of
    What are little girls made of?
    Sugar and spice
    And all that's nice
    That's what little girls are made of
    [IMG]
  9. qtam Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hmphuong @ Feb 10 2007, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What are little boys made of?
    Frogs and snails
    And puppy dogs' tails
    That's what little boys are made of
    What are little girls made of?
    Sugar and spice
    And all that's nice
    That's what little girls are made of
    [IMG][/b][/quote]

Why do you think that? I think Boys made from Girls [IMG]
  10. hmphuong Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (qtam @ Feb 20 2007, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why do you think that? I think Boys made from Girls [IMG][/b][/quote]
    I couldn't agree with you more [IMG]
  11. qtam Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hmphuong @ Feb 21 2007, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I couldn't agree with you more [IMG][/b][/quote]

hehe, that is just my opinion!

Hey, Guys tell me more fun!
  12. thienly Member

Số bài viết: 818
    Điểm thành tích: 16
    Effect of music

The young wife was playing violen, her husband painfully said:

- Will you please stop playing violen. I’ll buy a new skirt for you.

- I don’t like a new skirt. I want to have a diamond ring.

The wife replied and continued playing violen. The husband stopped his ears with the hands and said:

- I agree buying a diamond ring for you. Please stop it at once.
  13. hmphuong Guest

A son’s bad dream
    A man goes into his son’s room to wish him good night. His son is having a nightmare- the man wakes him and asks the son if he is okay? The son replies he is scare because he is dreamt that Auntie Susie had died. The father assurse the son that Auntie is fine and sends him to bed.
    The next day, Auntie Susie dies.
    One week later, the man again goes into his son’s room to wish him a goodnight. His son is having another nightmare- the man again wakes his son. The son this time says that he had dreamt that granddaddy had died. The father assures the son that granddaddy is fine and sends him to bed.
    The next day, granddaddy dies.
    One week later, the man again goes into his son’s room to wish him goodnight. His son is having another nightmare- the man again wakes his son. The son this time says that he had dreamt that daddy had died. The father assures the son that he is okay and sends him to bed.
    The man goes to bed but cannot sleep because he is so terrified. The next day, the man is scared for his life- he is sure he is going to die. After dressing he drives very cautiously to work fearful of a collision. He doesn’t eat lunch because he is scare of food poisoning. He avoids everyone for he is sure he will somehow be killed. He jumped at every noise, starts at every movement and hides under his desk.
    Upon walking in his front door, he finds his wife “Good Good Dear” he proclaims “I've just had the worst day of my entire life! ”
    She responds “You think your day was bad, the milkman dropped dead on the doorstep this morning.”
    [IMG]

Chia sẻ trang này